Monday, September 20, 2010

Two INSANE Weeks and FIT Test 2

As most everyone who reads this knows, in an effort to accelerate the loss of the last few pounds and improve my overall fitness level I began doing  the Insanity workout program.

Insanity, which is produced by BeachBody Fitness (the same company that makes p90x) is a video series that incorporates Plyometrics, Yoga, Strength & Resistance, and a lot of Cadio. The workouts are led by Shaun T and are very intense but uses no weights or equipment. The workouts are on a series of 10 dvds each with a different focus and each that will challenge you in new ways. The entire program is designed to last 60 days (well 63 actually) and is designed to be challenging no matter what your fitness level is when you begin.

I have reviewed a couple of the workouts and will review a couple more as I go along, but I wanted to focus today on my first 2 weeks as a whole. At first I was very concerned about not being able to keep up physically, but there are constant reminders from Shaun T to take things at your own pace and to know your limits. Also it helps to see the athletic people on the screen have to stop and take breaks it makes me feel a little less guilty about taking my breaks.

The exercises that you do are challenging and will challenge your flexibility, your balance, your coordination, your strength, your cardiovascular fitness level and mostly your self determination. Each day presents a new challenge and leaves you completely spent. However after a few days you begin to notice around 45 minutes after your exercise your feeling of being completely spent is replaced by a feeling of invigoration.

I am proud to say I have gotten up early every morning and completed the required routine. Some mornings have been harder than others. I have learned a few things that I would like to share.


  1. Insanity is NO JOKE, It is difficult, but it can be done, and I do have what it takes to complete it.
  2. It is important to judge your performance against yourself not against anyone else, and it is important not to get discouraged if you can't do everything as well as the people on your screen just keep working as hard as you can. 
  3.  It is very important to make sure if you embark on an intense regimen like this that doesn't give your body a lot of time to recover that you are properly fortifying your body.


    • It is important to eat the right foods loaded with the proper nutrients. 
    • It is equally important to adjust your calorie intake appropriately. you are burning a lot more calories and you need to make sure you are giving your body the fuel it needs to keep going.
    • A good Multi-vitamin (or vitamin pack) is essential for any nutrients you may be missing in your food.
    • Your body needs help recovering and you may need to use some supplements that contain protein and essential amino acids. There are some very good powders out there that combine all the needed ingredients and they don't actually taste horrible.
Now what you really want to know, does it work?

Well that can be measured a couple of ways... Do I see a difference in the mirror, I think I do, but it has only been 2 weeks... ask me again in 2 weeks. More importantly, can my wife see a difference yet? She will have to answer that.

But for the real tangible results. On day one I did my first Fit Test and I posted the results previously. Today was my second Fit Test and I think the results are pretty extraordinary; see for yourself.

  

Insanity Fit Test
         
         
Day 1   Day 15  
Switch Kicks 52   82  
Power Jacks 47   57  
Power Knees 54   61  
Power Jump 32   34  
Globe Jump 7   10  
Suicide Jumps 9   14  
Pushup Jacks 16   31  
Low plank Obliques 34   40  





 

No comments:

Post a Comment